Because Italy is more than a geographic expression..

Alessi S.P.A. US

Monday, October 26, 2009

Julia Childs Simplistic View Of Simplicity

How many times I've heard it be claimed that Italian stuff is "over rated." Oh me, oh my! From its soccer to its olive oil to its fashion to its cars. Julia Childs and her opinion of Italian cuisine is no exception. It's all par for the course as far as I'm concerned.

Look, some still say The Beatles were "a mistake" and that Wayne Gretzky wasn't the best hockey player ever despite evidence pointing otherwise. Opinions are opinions. Childs has earned her right to hers. She's done much for cooking in America.

It is what is.

It's their loss, in my view, if they choose to "pigeon-hole" the food born in the peninsula. Italian cuisine offers a dizzying array and stupendous amount of depth, quality, substance , creativity, sophistication and diversity. Its population's pallet is wickedly advanced to the point of insanity.

And who cares if it's simple? Therein lies the genius, no? There's sophistication and elegance in minimalism, no? Simplicity can be, I think, complex, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment